Table of Contents
Whey protein can be found as a byproduct of cheese production. Milk actually contains two main types of protein: casein which forms around 80% of milk and whey which constitutes around 20%.
Whey is found in the watery portion of milk. After being separated during the cheese production process, whey goes through various processing steps to become what people generally recognize as whey protein. It becomes a powder that can be added to shakes and used as a meal replacement and protein bars. Whey protein doesn’t taste appetizing on its own. This is why it is sold in the market in the form of flavored whey powder. Some whey protein supplements can be bought online.
Whey protein contains a good quantity of all 9 essential amino acids. Numerous studies suggest that whey protein can help you increase strength, gain muscle, and lose significant amounts of body fat. Whey protein also contains many other nutrients, some with important biological effects. Whey Protein Supplements have become a really popular form of providing your body with the necessary proteins and nutrients.
Different Forms of Whey Protein
Whey protein powder supplements are found in the market in four forms:
- Concentrate: Concentrated whey protein is lower in fat content in comparison to the other forms except isolate and has higher levels of carbohydrates and bioactive compounds. The protein content by weight can be found anywhere between 30% to 90%.
- Isolate: Isolate whey protein is processed to remove fat content and lactose. This form of whey protein powder is also lower in Health Boosting Bioactive Compounds. The protein content by weight can be somewhere around 90%.
- Hydrolysate: Hydrolysate whey protein is pre-digested and partially hydrolyzed. The process of making hydrolysate whey powder consists of adding water during the production process to break down the constituent compounds.
- Native: This makes whey protein powder easier for the body to digest. The cumbersome process which is required to process hydrolysate whey protein powder increases the cost.
- Directly extracted from skimmed milk, native whey protein is the purest form of whey protein available. It is very low in fat content, lactose, and bioactive compounds. The protein content by weight is usually 95% or higher.
Protein Supplements Make Your Muscles Grow
1. Proteins Build Your Muscles
Proteins are the building blocks of your muscles, tissues, hormones, and blood. Whey proteins are high in protein content and help your muscles grow and provide them with the necessary nutrients required for growth.
Whey protein also contains all the essential amino acids which are required for good muscle health. A Balanced Diet will ensure that your body is getting the nutrients from different types of foods to maintain a healthy body. Fresh fruits, Fresh vegetables, Whole grains, Legumes, Lean proteins.
2. Affects Hormone Secretion
Whey proteins have the ability to stimulate the increase in the release of anabolic hormones. Anabolic hormones stimulate muscle growth.
It is important to ensure that your anabolic hormones are being secreted in sufficient quantities if you are working out with the goal of muscle development and growth. Drinking whey protein supplements helps initiate the release of these hormones in your body.
3. Contains High Content of Leucine
Whey protein is high in the content of the amino acid leucine. Leucine is known to stimulate muscle protein synthesis at the molecular and genetic levels. A steady supply of leucine before, after, or during a workout can make the efforts of your workout seem more worthwhile.
4. Fast Absorption of Whey Protein
Compared to other forms of proteins, whey protein is absorbed and utilized the fastest by your body. This is highly beneficial because your muscles repair and gain nutrition right after a workout. Drinking whey protein supplements right after a workout can stimulate muscle growth and rejuvenate your muscles after a tiring workout. The fast absorption ability of whey protein makes it more effective.
5. Causes Increase in Muscle Growth Stimulation
Muscle protein synthesis is usually maximized in the time period immediately after training. Drinking a whey protein supplement right after your workout can help your body relax significantly and help muscle growth.
6. Supplements Your Diet
Whey protein supplements your regular diet comprising of proteins. Whatever protein content cannot be fulfilled by your usual diet is fulfilled by a whey protein supplement.
If your aim is to develop more muscle mass and become leaner, you will require a protein intake that is above the average protein requirements. A whey protein supplement can sufficiently take care of all your protein needs. Food is the main source of energy for your body. Eating the right kinds of food not only leaves you to be more energetic but helps prevent diseases.
7. Health Benefits
Whey is more than just a high quality protein source, it also contains other beneficial nutrients. Apart from muscle strength and leanness, whey protein can provide numerous other health benefits.
This includes lowering blood pressure, and blood sugar and reducing symptoms of stress and depression. It also protects you against cancer, reduces symptoms of hepatitis and increases bone mineral density.
By keeping your body healthy and brimming with nutrients, whey protein gives you the strength to continue with your strenuous workout every day.
When Should You Drink Whey Protein Supplements
Whey proteins should ideally be consumed sometime around your workouts. Before starting your workout, you should take about 10-20 grams of whey protein mixed with water. This will help enhance muscle strength and increase endurance for the upcoming workout session.
Following your gym session, take a further 20-40 grams of whey to boost muscle protein synthesis. After a workout, it is essential to take some form of protein if you want to increase muscle mass and become leaner. It is best to consume whey protein upplements because they can be absorbed faster by your body.